SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Book Review: The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace

Author: Amanda Lovelace
Publisher: CreateSpace
Pages: 156
Format: E-book
Published: May, 2016
Price: $7.99 -> Rp 106.659 (Amazon)
Rating: 3½ / 5 stars

Date started: January 7, 2017 - Date finished: January 7, 2017

Synopsis:
"ah, life—
the thing
that happens
to us
while we’re off
somewhere else
blowing on
dandelions
& wishing
ourselves into
the pages of
our favorite
fairy tales."

a poetry collection divided into four different parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, & you. the princess, the damsel, & the queen piece together the life of the author in three stages, while you serves as a note to the reader & all of humankind. explores life & all of its love, loss, grief, healing, empowerment, & inspirations.
Review:
I'm not really good at reviewing poetry books so I'm going to keep this review short. The Princess Saves Herself in this One is a collection of poetry divided into four parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen and you. To me, this book was somewhat similar to Milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur. The similarities is that in a way both these books have a sort of dark, honest, depressing ambiance to it. When I was reading these poems I can feel the honesty in each and every word it's as if they were inspired by personal experiences because of how honest they were.

So, as I've said before, the poems are divided into four parts. To me what stood out from these poems are the feeling of hatred, regret, abuse and melancholy you get after reading them. In the first part, the princess, it was more about the themes of ourselves (or in this case the author's self) it discusses about the her hatred towards aspects of herself and the things she had to endure. In the second part, the damsel, the poems were more towards the romantic melancholy theme as it talks more about losing love. In the third part, the queen, the poems discusses the relationship between this person and her mother who is dead and when she was alive isn't a very good parent, but in this poems it's not all dark some poems discusses the silver linings of how even though the mother treated her badly she was still her mother that cared for her in a way. In the last part, you, the poems were more uplifting and motivational but still have a dark ambiance. Some even talk about her love of poetry and how it gave her strength.

One of my favorite poems even though I'm not an avid coffee drinker:
if he was
my cup of tea,
then you are
my cup of
coffee.

tea simply
isn’t
enough
for me
sometimes,

but
coffee
can get me
through
anything.

- did i make you up?
I liked honest poems where I can feel where the author was coming from and I appreciate the honesty in her words, I mean she even used the word "fucking" in some of her poems. So, because this book in my opinion was similar to Milk and Honey I can't help but to compare it with that book and I kind of liked Milk and Honey a tad more than this one but this book was still very enjoyable.

That's all for now!

No comments

Post a Comment