SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, July 14, 2017

Book Review: The Spiral Down (The Fall Up, #2) by Aly Martinez

Author: Aly Martinez
Publisher: Aly Martinez
Pages: 242
Format: E-book
Published: May, 2016
Price: $12.99 -> Rp172.845 (Amazon)
Rating: 4½ / 5 stars

Date started: June 13, 2017 - Date finished: June 14, 2017

Synopsis:
Standalone M/M romance.

I was afraid to fly.

He made me soar.


After years of climbing the ladder of success in the music industry, I finally had everything I could want.
Yet I still found myself wandering through life alone.

Captain Evan Roth was the one man I never saw coming. 
Tall, dark, mysterious… Straight. 

We were both damaged beyond repair and searching for something so elusive we weren’t sure it even existed.

But, when two broken souls collide in midair, falling is a given.

I just never expected to crave the spiral down.
Review:
Henry Alexander is an enormously famous popstar, you'd think just because he has performed in front of thousands of people nothing scares him, but one thing does scare the crap out of him, flying. One day during his tour, he had to get to his next stop quickly, usually he rode the tour bus because of his fear of flying but at that time there's no way he can make it to his next show without flying. This is the day he saw Captain Evan Roth, his substitute pilot for the day.

Henry didn't pay much attention to him that day, but the gods of fate took over and they meet again later on a commercial flight where they sat together and Evan was able to comfort Henry's fear of flying. That was the day Henry noticed Evan and on that day he knew he wanted Evan. Right then and there he decided the only way to pursue him is by hiring Evan as his personal pilot. Henry knew that Evan was straight and that's just his type, he likes to turn straight guys, that's his specialty. But Evan is actually bisexual.

Evan and Henry started off their relationship in an unlikely way, a menage a trois with a girl. This event was what showed them that they're both attracted to each other not just physically but emotionally as well. But both of them had secrets they aren't sharing with each other and those secrets could led them to spiral down.
"Not accepting it doesn't change reality, Henry. Life is a struggle, but it's who you chose to take on the journey with you that matters the most. And, if you ask me, it sounds like you already chose. Don't let the bullshit details get in your way."
This book was hella addictive. I started this book on a whim because as always when I'm in a slump I read contemporaries to pick me up and then I just couldn't stop until I finished it. I literally devoured this book in one day. This book is written in dual POVs of the main characters, Henry and Evan. Let me say even though it is written in first person you're not really confused on which character you're reading about because their personalities and voices are quite distinct. Henry is more of a fun, goofy, flirty, confident kind of guy and Evan is this dark, brooding.
I had no idea why I felt as though I were constantly fighting a maelstrom of physical desperation every time he walked into a room. I didn't understand how, after all these years of avoiding men, I was suddenly enamored by one I barely even knew. I didn't understand how he had enraptured me with a single stare from across a crowded arena.
The writing was so so good, this author's strength is in building up believable chemistry between characters (main and side characters). I definitely rooted for both of the main characters and the side characters as well. The author is able to breathe life into all of the characters and I'm glad because we're not stuck reading about a flat one-dimensional side character.
There was a massive difference between being in love and falling in love. Being in love was like a never-ending flight through the clouds. Storms were likely. Turbulence a given. But they didn't last forever. The clouds always returned. Falling was more like a terrifying test of trust where you're expected to leap from death-defying altitudes with nothing more than one flawed person with his arms held open, acting as your safety net. Sometimes, you crashed, shattering into a million pieces, when the person you trusted wasn't there to catch you.
"I like men. I like women. But, at the end of the day, I am not defined by my sexuality. I just want to find someone who makes me happy. That's all I've ever wanted. I don't care if you're a man or a woman. I have no preference. When I'm with someone, it's because of the person they are, not the genitalia they're born with."
Up until the end I thought this book was pure perfection, that is until I read the epilogue and I didn't like it. I would've much preferred the ending to be this book's last chapter, mainly because I just couldn't visualize such them being at that point yet. I just think it's a little bit too soon for that epilogue. I'm the kind of reader who likes to be kept wanting more, but anyways this is just me personally.
“You’ve been a whirlwind who has stripped me bare and brought me to my knees more than once. I’m not naïve enough to believe that it will be smooth skies from here on out. The only thing I can do is swear I’ll weather any storm as long as you’re on the other side, waiting for me. His” 
I'd definitely recommend this book to people who read romance M/M books, as this book does contain erotic scenes, gay and bisexual themes so be warned if you're not comfortable reading those kinds of stuff don't read this book. In addition to that, although it is the second book in a series, it can be read as a standalone and you won't feel like you missed anything because the main characters of the second book are different from the first book.

That's all for now!

No comments

Post a Comment